POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? : Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:20:21 EDT (-0400)
  Real benefit of a 64 bit Pov binary on a 64 bit CPU in a 64 bit opsys?
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 30 Jul 2006 05:23:21
Message: <44cc7a88@news.povray.org>
What exactly are the real world benefits?

I'm supposing it doesn't render twice as fast, but you can address more RAM
(double the address size limit?), thus allowing for bigger and more complex
renders?

Would have been nice if it rendered twice as fast, though... but what is the
real spead increase factor (if any?) on a benchmark scene? Seeing (if I'm
not wrong, as usual) that the size of the processing "bites" you can take
at one given instant is twice as large as on a 32-bit architecture? Or is
this illusionary (the bus on most of these systems not being 64 bits wide?
Or not?)
--
Stefan Viljoen
Software Support Technician / Programmer